Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

3 division schedule

Path · 4 · 4810

Path

on: August 13, 2009, 10:01:20 PM
Need some help getting a Dart schedule together ...  :)

We have 3 divisions: A (4 teams), B (4 teams) and C (3 teams).

A div plays other A teams 3 times but only plays B div teams once. This gives us 13 matches.

B div plays other B teams 2 times but only plays A and C div teams once. This also gives us 13 matches.

Finally ... C div plays other C teams 4 times and play B div once. This gives us 12 matches.

Note that A div does not play C div.

Can you help me come up with a schedule?

Pat  H

Path

Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 09:34:11 PM
Can't anyone help on this?

Maybe a "start here and try this " would get me going in the right direction.

Ian ... any thoughts??

Thanks,

Pat

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:14:05 AM
Hi Pat,

Most of the responses I make here are solutions that I can take from a book or generate using existing software, unfortunately the inter/intra-divisional nature of the schedule you are looking for is too complex for any of the sources that I know of.  The problem you have is actually quite small, so I think you may be able to come up with a solution just by trial-and-error, perhaps you could write the 38 matches on bits of paper and just try arranging them in to rounds of play.  You don't say if there are constraints on the number of rounds, the shortest schedule will be 6 rounds of 5 matches and 2 rounds of 4 matches, however if you consider having more rounds with just 4 matches, then I think you will find solutions easier to find.

Hope that helps.

Ian.

Path

Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
Ian ... thanks for the suggestion! :)

I will try the paper idea and see what I come with. ;)

Pat