Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

H64 Euchre

xabo · 3 · 2935

xabo

on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:33 PM
Hi
I am having 64 individual players and 16 tables.
I would like to have everyone play with a different person and against different people if possible for each round.
We will be playing 21 games (to play once with each of the other 63 players).
Can anyone help me set this schedule up???
Thanks,
xabo
 :-/

Richard A. DeVenezias

• Forum Administrator
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:16:05 AM
You are looking for a Whist schedule (in which each player teams with each other player once and plays against each player twice)

Whist schedules at this website do not go above 32 players.

However, you can find information about scheduling more players at Durango Bill's website.  He has data for planning 4n players, upto 80 players (n=20).

Note: The data is a arrangement (configuration) for the first round.  The arrangement of the remaining rounds have to be computed using the rotation scheme discussed on the webpage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 10:26:17 AM by admin »
The Administrator.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 12:31:46 PM
The whist schedule that Richard is talking about will have 63 rounds, but you are wanting only one third of this.  Lets say you took the first 21 rounds from the full whist schedule, then you would almost certainly find that some of the pairs of players in opposition, all of which occur twice somewhere in the 63 rounds, just happen to occur twice in the first 21 rounds.  As a consequence you will not get the play-once-with-each-other-player property.

I can tell you that a solution to your problem does exist.  Frustratingly, I have a reference book that tells me as much, but doesn't say how to construct the schedule, it just gives a reference to the original scientific paper.  For completeness, this is Discrete Mathematics, vol 3 (1972), 343-357.  You could get it here, but it will cost and be warned that you may well need help turning the combinatorial math into a schedule.