Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

8 people playing on a weekend

ginnpr · 4 · 3756

ginnpr

on: February 18, 2006, 02:39:25 PM
I have a group of 8 people playing on a weekend - they are not pleased with the mix - I am trying to find a schedule that will make it fair for all -  no one cares with whom they play - so that is not a problem.
Thanks for any help. However - I did print out a copy of Ian's 8 player pairing schedule - is this the best it can be - I know that not a lot of  mixes are available for 8 players.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 01:29:55 AM
Would you give a few more details please?  What sport or game are you playing? How many times are you able to play over the course of the weekend?  Also I am not certain what you mean by my 8 player pairing schedule!

Thanks,

Ian.

PS I have moved your message here to the requests section of the message board as replies to messages in the comments section are not allowed.

ginnpr

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:32:37 PM
I have 8 people that just get together to play golf on a Saturday - 2 foursomes - what we would like is a fair mix as to playing with everyone - I know this schedule is one that you have to  play with at least 1 or 2 of the same people each week.  
Thanks for anyhelp - I saw a schedule on the home page for a round robin for 8 - would that be something I could use.
Thanks again
G

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 04:26:05 AM
G,

The 8 player round robin is for situations where you play in pairs.  For golf foursomes you will need a different type of schedule.  About the best thing you could propose for your group of 8 players is a schedule for 7 weeks where everyone plays each other exactly 3 times.  You are right that some players will have to play together on successive weeks.  In fact in the scedule below each foursome is made up from two players taken from each foursome in the week before.

Round 1 (A B C D)  (E F G H)
Round 2 (A D F G)  (B C E H)
Round 3 (A B E F)  (C D G H)
Round 4 (A D E H)  (B C F G)
Round 5 (A B G H)  (C D E F)
Round 6 (A C E G)  (B D F H)
Round 7 (A C F H)  (B D E G)

The schedule above has another nice property that all possible player triples occur together exactly once, so it has the best possible social mix that can be achieved.

Hope that helps,

Ian.