Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Volleyball - 16 team round robin / 4 courts / 2 time slots per day

Zonakid · 2 · 1856

Zonakid

All, 
I am putting together a volleyball schedule for the season and I am trying to figure out the match ups for the season based on the parameters below.  

16 teams
Round Robin format, everyone plays each other once through the season 
15 weeks for the season
Matches will be played once a week
Two time slots each week for matches
4 courts available each week (i.e. 8 matches per week)
Each team should ideally play each time slot 8 or 7 times during the season 

That being said, Court #4 faces west and presents issues for players when the sun is setting.  As a result, the league would like to make sure each team plays on Court #4 3 or 4 times during the season but would like to minimize the amount of back to back weeks on this court for any given team and to also spread out the matches on Court #4 across the season as much as possible.  

For the remaining three courts, we would ideally like every team to play each court only 3 or 4 times through the course of the season.  

Any help here with a proposed schedule would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
I would adapt the schedule that you can find here (1st schedule in reply #5).  So assign column 1 to court 1 early, and column 2 to court 1 late, column 3 to court 2 early, etc...  This will give the 3 or 4 times on each court that you are looking for - also after 8 rounds every team will have played on every court both early and late.  It is true that there will be some back to back games on court 4, I count 6 teams, however they will always be games scheduled at different times, so hopefully the sun will only impact one of the two.