Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

New help with rotating doubles league

kelkat · 4 · 2906

kelkat

on: January 02, 2021, 02:35:49 PM
Hi there, great to find this site. 

Here is the situation.
Rotating Doubles - play 1 set with your initial partner, then you switch around players within your court
1x a week
12 weeks per session
14 players
3 courts
Each week 2 players have a Bye, 

Can you suggest a schedule? Trying to make the crew happy.

Thanks in advance.

kelkat

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:49:22 PM
Just checking back to see if there could be an algorithm to solve this. No worries if not, just need to know either way. Thanks.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:22:23 AM
I don't have an algorithm to solve this problem.   But just thinking about the problem, wouldn't it be better to have a multiple of 7 weeks for a session.   In 7 weeks, there are 14 byes and it should be possible to arrange that everyone has exactly one bye - and so everyone has the same number of games.   Also, it's not clear how many sets there are on a court.   If 4 players meet there are 3 different games they can play:

(A B vs C D)
(A C vs B D)
(A D vs B C)

If you only want to play 2 of these 3 sets, then that makes the scheduling much harder I think.

kelkat

Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 02:25:03 PM
Thanks. While waiting, I found this site.
https://www.pickleballtournaments.com/rrgenerator1.pl

I plugged in my numbers and got this schedule attached.

Then while browsing this site, I decided to chart out the frequency of the opponents each player is on the court with during the 12 week session.
also attached

A labor of love, but I rather enjoyed it. Most players received 2 BYEs with 3 getting 1 BYE -- it showed me where I could plug in a sub who occasionally wants to play but can't commit every week. I learned a lot from your site. Thank you for your time and efforts. Hope my attachment appear as I can't see on preview ...

Kellie
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:27:38 PM by kelkat »