Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Pickleball, 28 players(not teams), 7 courts, 6 games-(3 rotations-2 games/court)

lmcavoy · 7 · 3706

lmcavoy

I need help please with setting this up so that players never play with the same people.  Games 1 and 2 on the first court, games 3/4 on another court, games 5/6 on another court.  They won't be playing against all players in the event, but I just don't want them to play any of the same players throughout the six games.  Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
If 4 players are sent to one court, and there are two games without any rotation, then surely the same 4 players end up playing each other twice?  This seems to be at odds with the request to not play with the same players.  Have I misunderstood something?  Thanks.

lmcavoy

Yes, I was hoping not to have the any participants playing each other twice.  Each rotation (games 1 and 2, change courts on games 3 and 4, change courts on games 5 and 6) would totally mixed up all players during each rotation.  Perhaps my request is not possible then?  Thanks!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
I still don't see it.  Lets say players A, B, C and D start on court 1.   The 2 games they play might be:

AB vs CD
AC vs BD

but then the pairs of players  AD & BC have opposed each other twice.  If you want the maximum mixing then you have to rotate after every game.

I do have it correct that you are playing doubles rather than singles?

lmcavoy

Yes, there are 4 players on each court, but they are playing with individual scores. The one person with the highest total at the end of 6 games wins.  That's why I want it mixed up, so that there aren't comments about 'that participant played against a lower skilled player more than I did'.

Do you have another idea?  I am new to this, as you can probably tell!  I am appreciative of your assistance.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Here is a schedule with 6 rounds and 7 courts that I think you can use.  No pair of players occurs twice together, so if you are prepared to rotate after every round, then the mixing will be optimal.

For each row play the game (P1 P2 vs P3 P4).  Hope that helps.

(if you are logged in you can download the schedule as an Excel file below)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:19:04 PM by Ian Wakeling »

lmcavoy

Fabulous!  I am very grateful for your help.  Thanks!