Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

10 Teams, 2 Byes - 44 Rounds

Hutcheedingo · 4 · 3164

Hutcheedingo

on: September 02, 2020, 03:29:02 AM
So in an effort to save me a lot of work each year, and the interruptions from COVID this year shutting us down for 3 months... I've got an opportunity to transition our competitions into an Annual League commencing in 2022.

My problem... I have 10 teams, Due to Field Constraints 2 Teams have a Bye each week, and I have 44 Weeks of Play Available, with no play on Public Holidays or during the National Championships (2 Weeks in Late Sept/Early Oct).  All of this is done on a Single Field

I'm looking for a Single Field with 4 games each week, balanced schedule with everyone getting the same number of games against each other.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 06:40:27 AM by Hutcheedingo »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 04:53:39 AM
Since you ask that everyone plays each other the same number of times, then I think the only choice that works is to play a triple round-robin (RR), as there will not be enough time slots to play a quadruple RR.   Each RR has 45 games, so the triple schedule will involve 135 games, with a maximum of 4 per week, which could be played in 33 weeks of 4 games, with one short week of 3 games.   I think I could make a schedule like this if that sounds OK to you.

Hutcheedingo

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 11:28:25 PM
Thanks for the reply.  I forgot to mention that the schedule needs to be balanced.  How would a Triple Round Robin look in the example you described?

I thought something like the schedule you drew up at this link would do the trick, but I can't figure out which rounds to pull out to make the third round robin

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 03:22:15 AM
Because of the short rounds, I don't think it is possible to separate the schedule you linked to into individual round-robins.  So here is a triple round robin version.

(D H) (B I) (C F) (---)
(A C) (D J) (E H) (G I)
(F G) (A H) (C E) (B D)
(A I) (H J) (E G) (B F)
(F H) (C J) (B G) (D I)
(H J) (D G) (B E) (A F)
(A G) (E F) (I J) (C H)
(E I) (B H) (A D) (F J)
(C D) (H I) (A E) (G J)
(B J) (C I) (D F) (A H)
(B C) (D E) (A J) (G H)
(E J) (F I) (C G) (A B)