Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Epic Question

robert.keller · 5 · 2931

robert.keller

on: July 08, 2020, 11:05:47 AM
So.  I would like to create an excel file that allows me to create rotational groups of people with no repeat but I would also like the ability to edit the first few groupings.  For example.  If one week I have 20 people and I want them to all meet one on one but not see the same person twice, while also being able to edit the first few groupings of people so if there are specific people that I would like to meet they can.  So its kind of like creating a rotational schedule that is not random and does not repeat which is also editable for the first few groupings.  

Thank you for any help provided!

robert.keller

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47:52 AM
Is anyone out there able to help with this question?  I would be willing to hire them to help figure it out.  Thanks!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 10:41:21 AM
Can you say a little more about your requirements please.  Are you only concerned with singles play, or are you wanting this to work with other formats, doubles, mixed doubles, or teams of more than two people?  What is the maximum number of people you would want to schedule for?  How many rounds and games of the schedule would you want to fix in the way you describe?   If it's only a few games, then it is possible that you could handle the situation by careful assignment of the player names to the player numbers in a standard schedule.  However if you want to fix all the games in the first 2 or 3 rounds, then most likely a computer algorithm is needed to complete the schedule.  I am sure there will be a point when there are so many fixed games that it is no longer possible to complete the schedule - so be prepared that it might not always work.    

robert.keller

Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 01:05:35 PM
Mainly I'm concerned with singles play.  I don't per say have a maximum amount of people I would want to schedule for, hopefully that would be adjustable (generally around 10-40).  The amount of rounds I would want to adjust would probably be no more than the first 3.  

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 09:35:22 AM
I have an algorithm that I think will find solutions to these sorts of problems - I have tested it with a 40 player round-robin and I am able to complete a schedule where the first 3 rounds have fixed games.  This is just a prototype, and it is not in Excel.  I can offer to run it for you with some fixed games of your choosing.