Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

HELP!!

vballgirl · 2 · 2482

vballgirl

on: July 06, 2020, 04:20:15 PM
Hello all,

I am having trouble trying to format a tournament.  We will only have 2 courts running at a time, so a maximum of 8 players can play.  We have 6 females and 6 males.  We are trying to create mixed teams of 2 (one female and one male).  Due to time constraints, we know that we will have one female not play with nor against another male.  For example, F1 will never play against or with M6.  Our goal is to have each female and male play with each other and against each other once (except for that one opposite gender person that you will not play with or against).  Help please!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 03:27:37 AM
I think it is impossible to have a schedule with the properties that you are asking for, so you must compromise here.  The closest schedule that I know is this one.  However everyone participates fully and has one same gender player who is opposed twice.  You could remove F1 and M6 from the two games in which they participate and replace them with players who have a bye in that round, but this will leave the schedule quite unbalanced, with some players having one game more than others.