Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Tournament Bracket 8 Team 3 or 4 Different Games

jdegr · 4 · 4220

jdegr

on: April 13, 2020, 11:12:59 AM
Hi All

I am trying to generate a Tournament for 8 teams that will be playing 3 or 4 different types of games.  I would really like it setup in a bracket format, but I am struggling on how to set this up.  

I am not too concerned with everyone playing each other, but I would like each player to participate in each game at least twice.  So each team would be guaranteed to play 6 times for 3 games or 8 times for 4 games.  I am also not concerned with scheduling or multiple games being played at the same time.  So there is a lot of flexibility here.

I am open to different bracket formats (double/single elimination, consolation).  Any and all ideas are welcome.  Thanks!!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:00:45 AM
I think the following will help - it is arranged into 8 rounds if you need it.

G1     G2     G3     G4
(A B)  (C D)  (E F)  (G H)
(F H)  (E G)  (B D)  (A C)
(B C)  (F G)  (E H)  (A D)
(A F)  (D H)  (C G)  (B E)
(D G)  (A E)  (B F)  (C H)
(C E)  (B H)  (A G)  (D F)
(D E)  (C F)  (A H)  (B G)
(G H)  (A B)  (C D)  (E F)

As each teams plays 8 times and there are only 7 possible opponents, there must be some repeated pairings.  These repeats are confined to the first and last rounds, or putting that another way, every teams plays every other team once in the first 7 rounds.  If you only have 3 games, then assign the G4 column to be the byes.

Hope that helps.

jdegr

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
Hi Ian - Thanks so much for the response, but how would I apply what you showed me in an actual tournament bracket.

Thanks

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:55:04 AM
Now that I have re-read your request I am not sure I understand what you want.  You appear to be asking for an elimination tournament where no team is ever eliminated (as they all play exactly 8 games).  I think I stand by the schedule above, if you intend on having 32 matches, the best strategy is to have every team play every other team at least once.