Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

8 golfers playing match play in pairs

Graham Quick · 3 · 2676

Graham Quick

on: December 19, 2019, 10:50:03 AM
Hi
We are a group of 8 golfers who are going on a tour and would like to play a round robin match play tournament (pairs) so that everybody plays with a different partner each round . I have no trouble sorting out the pairings using the standard round robin format but am struggling to ensure that each player does not play against another golfer too much or too little . We did it last year and one of the golfers had to play against the best player 3 times . Can somebody come up with a “ fixture list “ for the tour where no player plays against another opponent more than twice . I hope I have explained this well enough
Graham Quick
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:07:10 PM by Graham Quick »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 03:19:03 AM
I think you are looking for a 'Whist' schedule.  If you follow the 'pages that inspired the forum' link at the top of the page, and then look for a Whist table for 8 items, then you will see the standard 7 round schedule for pairs play.  In this all pairs of players partner exactly once and play against each other exactly twice.

Graham Quick

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 03:48:58 PM
Brilliant.Just checked it and it works perfectly . Will save a few arguments next year .Many thanks 
Graham