Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

10 Team / 2 Venues (2 courts per venue) - Five Playing Dates - HELP

HWDSB Athletics

Hi,

Looking for some help.  Struggling with coming up with a round robin format which sees the following parameters. 

- 10 teams
- 2 different venues + 2 courts per venue - over 5 weeks (teams cannot travel between venues, but each venue has 2 courts with 3 time slots each) - total 12 games per night (6 per venue) can be played
- Teams should play 2 times per night (however given it's 9 games per team - they would get one week with just a single game)

Does someone have a suggestion to make this work.  I'm confusing myself as I get into my later rounds.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
There will be 15 unused slots in the schedule, since there are 60 available but only 45 games in the round-robin.  If a team has only one game at a venue, then there must also be another team with only one game, and in such cases there are only 4 games to be played, meaning that one of the time slots is not required. In all other cases there will be 5 games at a venue as this gives each of the 5 teams scheduled to travel there exactly 2 games each.  I hope the solution below is useful to you (also attached in Excel format) - you need to be logged in to see the image and attachment.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 08:51:57 AM by Ian Wakeling »

HWDSB Athletics

This is perfect! I wasn't sure there was an easy way to make this work nicely. 

Thank you so much for your help!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 05:44:47 PM by HWDSB Athletics »