Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

9 team, 2 division pickle! Please Help!

Johnppd24 · 2 · 2429

Johnppd24

on: August 18, 2019, 11:35:42 PM
I am attempting to make a scheudle for a youth football league.  In the 5th/6th grade group, there are 2 divisions (North & South) consisting of 4 teams in each division.  We have a 9th team that is geographically in the middle, and will play in both divisions.  Each team needs 4 home games and 4 away games without playing another team more than twice (Home & Home), while only playing one game a week in an 8 week period, without bye weeks.  The teams must play within their division, except for the middle/9th team which will play in both the north and the south. The only other constraint we have, is lets call them team #2 and team #4, that need to play each other the second week of the season.  

To throw another wrinkle in this plan, in another age group 3rd/4th grade, in the south division we have 2 addintional teams that only play 3/4 grade.  Thye do not have to play every other team in the south like th 5/6 grade, but need 4 home and 4 away games within the South division inlcuding the middle/9th team.  It would also be onvient if the teams that have 5/6 and 3/4 play on the same days.  The north division 3/4 grade will be a carbon copy of th 5/6 schedule.

My eyes are going crossed.  I have tried numerous league scheduling programs and went through half a notebook trying to make a draft.   

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 03:14:23 AM
I am thinking that this will never work because the middle team creates a bye for another team wherever it goes.  If it is a week where the middle team goes north for example,  then N1 might play N2, N3 might play the middle team, and N4 is left with a bye.  Because of these byes, 8 weeks is not be enough to complete all the games.