Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

OMGOSH! 13 teams, round robin, 3 games each. HOW??

cnyoon2 · 3 · 5635

cnyoon2

i have a HUGE tournament this saturday june 20..., ONE TEAM DROPPED!!

13 basketball teams: only 8 hours.

We are doing ROUND ROBIN, originally in groups of 4, 5, 5... and ONLY 3 games each!!! however... now its 13 teams..., how do I do ONLY 3 games EACH for round robin? single elimination is easy... i've already scheduled that...

please..!!!

wbport

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 07:36:12 AM
Two groups of four is easy for round robins.  For the last group of five you might want to have a Round Robin Guided Swiss.  If the teams have ratings or rankings, have 1 play 4 and 2 plays 5.  The 3rd seeded team would have a bye.  You may also have 1 play 6 and 2 plays 5 with 3 having the bye if you prefer.

The following should not apply, but I am keeping it in for reference (see my next post):
Now to assign pairing numbers.  Any team playing "6" has a bye that round so your 3rd seeded gets pairing number 1.  Assign the remaining numbers (2-5) to the teams "at random" except their opponent must be given the number next to them.  For example, if your top seed is randomly given pairing number 5, it's opponent would be 2.  Randomly assign 4 and 3 to the teams in the other game.

While the first round in the following table would be played first, two of the next four rounds would be played to let first round winners play (or the team with the first round bye to play a winner) with the order and which rounds determined by which teams win.

Rd    Pairings
  1:    1-6     4-3     5-2  
  2:    6-4     2-1     3-5  
  3:    2-6     5-4     1-3  
  4:    6-5     3-2     4-1  
  5:    3-6     1-5     2-4  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:48:46 AM by wbport »

wbport

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:42:14 AM
On second thought, a straight swiss system might be better for five teams and three rounds.  After starting the tournament as in my previous post, keep their rankings as pairing numbers.  For the 2nd and 3rd rounds, pair teams with similar scores wherever possible.  Score any team with a bye as a win.  The worst ranked team with the lowest score gets the bye in last two rounds, nobody gets the bye more than once and nobody plays the same opponent more than once.

A round robin guided swiss might make sense for maybe eight teams and five rounds (discussed here in another forum), but for five teams and three rounds, a swiss should work out.