Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Complex Schedule problem

tfox · 1 · 2298

tfox

on: October 03, 2007, 05:13:21 PM
Ok, here's my dilema...
I'm trying to write a custom program for our dart and pool leagues we run.
I have seen several examples of round robin tournaments that would work for a simple league, but unfortunatly ours is not simple.
Here are the variables...

We can have n number of teams
Each team has a "Home" location assigned
Each Location has a set number of pool tables or dart boards
Could have multiple divisions based upon number of teams.

My problem is, since each team is assigned a home location, and each location has a number of playing fields (ie, pool table or dart board) and each play field of course can only host one match at a time, and put it all together with a possiblity of multiple divisions, it gets a little confusing for me on the programming side.

We are currently running two different software packages, one for darts and one for our pool league, to create the schedules, but we would like to get away from this software, because we have written custom software to handle other aspects of the league, including tournament statistics, etc, so I would like to add scheduling capabilites to it also so I can get away from 3rd party dependency and double entering stuff into our own system.

Our current software is written in vb6, but I'm in the process of converting to vb.net so any help/examples would greatly be appreciated.
Terry Fox
System Administrator
www.playmor.com