Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

round robin formula for table hockey tournament

deathtoespn · 2 · 4232

deathtoespn

on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:23 AM
Hello!  I have just had an event where I left the scheduling and stats to an unqualified person and he basically destroyed my event and wasted all the players' :( time.  He had no clue how to put together a schedule with the following mandatory criteria (nor do I for that matter--hence my post.)

1.In a round robin format where each player plays the other players in his group, we need two players plus one referee for each match at each table hockey game (board/court).
2. All players must play on different boards within their group (two groups of 8 players for a 16 player tournament on six boards/courts)
3. Players and Referees rotate--for example, I ref your match . . . . then one or two rounds later, you ref my match.  Players serve as refs when they are not playing matches.

So the schedule for each match would look like this:
Player A   Referee   Player B   Game/Board 1

Player C    Referee  Player D   Game/Board 2

etc

4.  Finally, how do I design a spreadsheet system that can perform both the scheduling function I require AND keep track of all match results and tabulate the statistics (won/lost/goals for/goals against/points/placement).  I know nothing about spreadsheets never mind spreadsheet design but am so angered >:( by my last tournament that I am willing and able to do whatever research and study necessary.  Thanks :) for your help.
colecojohnny@yahoo.com

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:30:24 AM
Hello,

I think that any literature on referee assignment problems that you might find will assume that referees are not drawn from among the players but come from a separate group, so there may not be much to study.   Reading your message, I am not sure that I can see how your tournament will work.  With 8 players from one group, then you can only play 2 matches per round, with 4 players, 2 referees and 2 byes.  Is that what you want?

Ian.