Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Newbe

Morti · 2 · 38

Morti

on: May 15, 2024, 05:07:54 PM
 I would like some assistance on creating a schedule of play.  We have 18 teams and would like to create a schedule where every team plays each other once before we start the rotation over in 6 weeks.  We don't need to end the season with every team playing each other an equal number of times, but as close as possible.  How do I go about creating a schedule?
 We have six pits to use.
I forgot to mention that it is important that the teams rotate on the pits that they use for each game.  What I mean is that one team can't throw on the same court all the time.  Each court is a bit different from the next due to lighting, neighboring courts, wind, rain, etc. so we want to level the playing field as much as possible.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: Today at 04:52:07 AM
It's not clear to me how the rounds should be arranged, so would you give more details please?  With 18 teams there are 153 possible pairs of 2 teams, and therefore 153 matches to play, so I think you are asking for 26 rounds (1 round would be short with only 3 pits, since 153 = 25*6 + 3).  But if there are 6 weeks in the schedule, how are these rounds arranged in time, is it one round per day, or do you have multiple rounds on the same day?  Thanks, Ian.