Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

12 person King of the Beach

kevinyyz · 6 · 6933

kevinyyz

on: September 10, 2013, 02:56:39 PM
Hi Experts,

Looking for a 12 person King of the Beach schedule on 2 courts.  Everyone plays with everyone once and I think it works that everyone plays against everyone twice.  I found something for this but on 3 courts.  Anything you can suggest for 2 courts?

Thanks!!
KG

kevinyyz

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:02:10 PM
when I try to change the 3 court schedule into a 2 court schedule I end up with the same person play 3 or 4 games in a row without a break.  Ideally I would like it to be as even as possible so nobody get stuck with a bad 'number'.  

Any ideas?

I could use 2 courts for a few games and then go to 1 court to give everyone (8 people) a break and then go back to 2 courts and so on.  I just can't run people back to back all day long or I might have to have an ambulance standing by...lol.

Is there anything that could work for me?

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:58:03 AM
I think this may be too many constraints.  I have tried making a 20 round schedule, going 7 times to 1 court, but I can't do this without avoiding some people playing 3 games in a row, and also losing the 'against everyone twice' property.  Therefore the best solution to the problem as stated, is probably to modify the 11 rounds 3 court schedule to become a 22 round schedule, where each round of the former is converted into one round on two courts followed by one round on a single court, this would make sure that nobody plays more than twice in a row.

Ian.

kevinyyz

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:08:18 AM
Sounds great!  Except you lost me at 'the best possible solution'.. Lol.   Any chance you could publish this solution?  I have a make shift schedule,  but like I said there are 4 players that play 3 games in a row.   Our tournament is this Saturday September 14th

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:04 AM
Here is an example schedule:

court 1       court2
[(C L):(D J)] [(E I):(H K)]
[(A B):(F G)]
[(D B):(E K)] [(A C):(G H)]
[(F J):(I L)]
[(G K):(J B)] [(E C):(F L)]
[(A D):(H I)]