Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Home/Away optimized field utilization for RR play

fcexpress80 · 2 · 5484

fcexpress80

on: January 21, 2011, 06:32:58 PM
Could anybody point me towards any discussions regarding scheduling of league play where:

1) teams are paired on one field (or court) where one team plays an opposite home/away schedule with that of second team enabling the "doubling up" of teams to one set venue and time?

2) neither team plays more than 2 consecutive games at home nor away?

3) different leagues/divisions with a different numbers of teams are able to still be paired as in requirement 1 above.  That is: a team "number one" in one division of, say, 6 teams can be paired with a team "number 2" in a totally different division of 10 teams?

4a) a league of 6, 8, or 10 teams play 10 games (5 home/5 away) with, of course, an "unbalanced" schedule in the case of the 8 and 10 team leagues?

OR

4b) a league of 6 teams that plays 15 games (3xRR) AND leagues of 8 teams play 14 games (2xRR) AND leagues of 10 teams play 14 games (1xRR + 5 extra games)?

I have delevoped schedules with some help from others in my local youth soccer community, but I have always wondered if there has been any discussions on this matter from other sports scheduling admins or from this web site.  The idea is to share best practices and lessons learned.  

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 02:31:00 AM
Have you tried my Excel generator that you can find here?  If you choose home/away format and "do not randomize" before you generate a schedule, then you will get schedules with no more than 2 consecutive games, and where adjacent rows (teams) can be doubled up.  It should also be possible to find complementary green and yellow patterns in two schedules and therefore solve (3).  For unbalanced scenarios just remove some of the rounds from a full RR or the second schedule from a double RR.