Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Balanced Table Play and Rest Intervals

tgardner · 2 · 4432

tgardner

on: August 04, 2008, 06:35:43 PM
Hello,

I'm hosting an upcoming 3-cushion billiard tournament and am struggling with the round robin scheduling.  We estimate somewhere between 14 and 21 players will attend.  These players will then be broken into either 2 or 3 round robin flights and then play on a total of either 2 or 3 tables.  We won't make the final choice of number of flights and number of tables until just before we begin the tournament.  My goal is to find the best set of the 32 possible schedules (8 x 2 x 2).  By "best," I mean all players play the same number of games on each table (where possible) and the range of the number of no-playing rest periods is minimized.  In other words, I don't want one player to have to play 2 consective games while another may have to wait 4 games.

I've done a variey of searching (Matlab) by starting with the balanced schedules in this website to no avail.  I've also looked through other requests.  Of course I'm not looking for someone to propose all 32 schedules - although if they do, then I'd certainly be appreciative!  Instead, I'm hopeful that an example or two of some representative schedule constructions might enable me to complete the task.

tgardner

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 09:10:41 AM
I've since found reasonable schedules using searching routines and some post manipulation.  Thanks to those of you who might have spent any time on this problem.