Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

15 to 18 teams, balanced on 8 locations

Guest · 2 · 2769

Dick Wicklund(Guest)

on: December 31, 2005, 02:01:23 AM
I need round robin scheduling for the Duluth Curling Club, a non profit org. Leagues are played on 8 sheets of ice and vary from 15 to 18 teams. Some byes are in the mix,  but the frustrating part is getting teams moved from sheet to sheet.  Presently, my system keeps the same team on the same sheet  for too many weeks.

Can you help?

Thanks

Friday, December 23 2005, 10:16 am
Proctor, MN

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 08:00:04 AM
Hi DickW,

If you have 16 or 17 teams everything is already solved for you.  I refer you to Julian Wiseman's message from September 22, 2005. Follow the link for all-play-all pairs tournaments, the schedules that you will find there for 16 or 17 players have exactly what you want, venue balance for the 8 sheets of ice and also the same venue is never used twice by the same team in consecutive weeks - keeping the teams moving around like this considerably reduces the chances that teams will learn how to play a particular sheet to their advantage.  For 15 teams you could do worse than taking Julian's schedule for 16 players and giving a bye to the team that is drawn against "P".

18 teams is harder, I could probably work something out, so let me know if you have this many teams.

Regards,

Ian.