Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Volleyball Schedule - 12 teams, 2 Courts (A VS B, C VS D), 11 weeks

CLD · 6 · 1683

CLD

Hello,

Thank you for your time (posting correctly now).

I am looking to create an 11 week schedule where 12 teams (pairs of 2) play 6 games a night on 2 courts (A vs B = court 1 and C vs D = court 2) - these variables do not change. There are 3 pairs on each court to make up a team of 6 (there are no byes). In the chart below on week 1, game 1 (1-1AB and 1-1CD) = court A - Teams 11, 4, 8 VS Court B = Teams 10, 5, 12 and court C = Teams 3, 2, 7 VS court D = Teams 6, 1, 9.  In week 1, game 2 on court A = Teams 1, 12, 11 VS court B = Teams 6, 2, 4 and on court C = Teams 7, 9, 10 VS court D = Teams 8, 3, 5 and so on. The colourful grid to the side is calculating each time a team plays with each other and against each other. I am trying to create a schedule where teams 1-12 play with and against each other as even as possible throughout the 11 weeks. I have finalized week 1 but obviously due to the number of teams in play and available courts there are a lot of times where teams do not play together or vs each other yet (anywhere that indicates a 0 means no play together or no play against each other and so on). When I move on to creating week 2 I am finding a large skew where (ex: team 8 and 1 have still not played together but in the against section they may play against each other 5 times already, but if I flip out the numbers so that 8 and 1 play with each other it skews a different team against or together much higher than others. Is there a way to make it even out?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 01:18:05 PM by CLD »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Hello,

Many thanks for all the extra details.  What you are looking for can be found in reply #1 in this thread.  This will give you 22 games where the "with matrix" should be all 2s and the "against matrix" should be all 3s.  You could continue using different versions of this schedule - so make different random assignments of your 12 teams to the numbers 0 to 11 used in the schedule - until you have enough games for 11 weeks.

CLD

This is a huge help!! sorry I couldn't find it on the forum pages myself. You are a wizard. Thanks so much for your quick responses. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 10:14:32 AM by CLD »

CLD

Hello, 

We would like to create another schedule in which the amount of games, teams and courts stay the same, however, the top two teams (team 1 and 2) and the bottom two teams (team 11 and 12) never play with each other. Do you have a scenerio like this already mapped out?

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
I am sorry, I don't have any way of making this.

CLD

ok - thank you :)