Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Whist Excel Spread Sheet (with VBA)

rupp29 · 3 · 1636

rupp29

on: December 07, 2022, 02:14:03 PM
Hello; I was wondering if you had a version of your RR Excel spread sheet that would handle Whist Round Robin players:
"Where each player has each other player as a partner once, and as an opponent twice."
I can work with VBA and Excel (although I'm a bit rusty). 
When I saw what you did with the Round Robin Excel spreadsheet (v5.1) I was truly impressed. I was able to review the VBA and step through (debug) the logic but I was not able to see if there was a simple way to recode this to handle "Whist" play.
So my question is do you already have an Excel solution that will allow me to generate my own schedule (5 to 40 players)?
Thanks and great work with this forum and sharing the solutions.
Thanks again.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 05:06:45 AM
Hello,

Thanks for your kind words.  The mathematical constructions that you need for the whist schedules are quite different from the round-robins in the Excel spreadsheet, so there will be no way to convert the code, and I don't have a separate Excel spreadheet for whist. If you follow the link above "visit the pages that inspired the forum" you can get whist schedules for 4n players. If you want to consider making your own spreadsheet, then Bill Butler's page here contains the starter rounds that you need to make simple cyclic whist schedules for 4n and 4n+1 players - the only exception is 9 players which you would have to deal with separately.

rupp29

Reply #2 on: January 02, 2023, 11:46:14 AM
Thank you sir, Durango Bill's stuff looks amazing, but unfortunately will not work for my situation. I'm not playing Bridge, I'm playing pickleball... I would have no problem substituting tables for courts, but I need to deal with Bye situations that apparently are not common in Bridge. So I'll continue to work on a SQL Server or VBA solution to iterate through the pairings. Thanks again for the reply.