Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

New javascript program.

wbport · 18 · 15792

wbport

on: December 28, 2007, 09:25:40 AM
I used Richard's javascript code to implement a Berger table modification used for chess tournaments here(was rr1). I have had an interest in RR pairings ever since I had to enter one a round late. Fortunately, they had 13 players and all I had to do was be the "ghost" and make up my game with player 1 when both of us finished our scheduled games early.

In chess, color assignments are a big deal. The old tables started with players 1-5 having White against players 10-6 respectively, but 1 starts with two Whites while 6 starts with two Blacks. My change is to switch colors on all games not involving the "ghost" player.

After giving player 1 White against the ghost (player 10), the players are seated in order counterclockwise in every other seat. The initial pairing is done by subtracting the player's number from "the smallest odd number which is larger than the number of players". They meet other players in sequential order, meeting 1 after playing 9. When they get to their own number, they meet the ghost. They have white before their ghost round and black on the game following.

[timestamp=1198852462]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 09:34:50 AM by wbport »

wbport

Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:29:38 PM
There are two more links to look at in line with the original. This gives a side by side comparison of my suggestion to the Berger table along with Crenshaw's, which is the standard in chess RR tournaments.

To produce a Crenshaw-Berger table of any size event click here(was crenshaw). Who gets White is a major consideration in chess, but the same tables could be used to determine "home" team in a league where everyone uses the same facilities or it could dictate the result of the "coin toss" (instead of).

[timestamp=1199907005]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:30:13 PM by wbport »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:21:53 AM
I haven't studied these schedules in detail, but isn't the issue with black and white just the same as scheduling home and away matches in a league? For example see my Excel schedule generator here.

wbport

Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 11:25:35 AM
I haven't studied these schedules in detail, but isn't the issue with black and white just the same as scheduling home and away matches in a league?
I don't see any reason it wouldn't be.
My experience with round robins is almost exclusively with chess and I am attempting to replicate the Crenshaw-Burger tables in the US Chess Federation's Official Rules of Chess.

wbport

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 08:12:30 AM
Chessplayers might be interested to see this thread in USCF Forums. I modified crenshaw.htm(now rrpair.htm) to initially seat players differently and prevent players from moving from one end of a row to the other as they moved from odd to even (or vise versa) boards.

wbport

Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:47 PM
Two new options have been added to the crenshaw link (see a previous post). All colors (or Home-Visitor status) can be reversed to make it easier to use with late.htm if a single opponent is added after the 1st round. Also, the generated table will be in a new window.

wbport

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:20 AM
In the crenshaw.htm(now rrpair) page, I added a feature which keeps competitors at one site/board for two rounds--an improvement over existing USCF tables in which players moved from one end of the long table to the other going from round to round. The name of that option is now [highlight]Min. Moves[/highlight].
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 09:11:59 AM by wbport »

wbport

Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:17:41 AM
I just added a new page to create random pairing numbers here.
The existing table generator now has a link to it.

wbport

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:03:09 AM
The crenshaw link above now has a double round robin checkbox added.

wbport

Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:19:53 PM
This is the summary of the counters for a typical month in the crenshaw.htm shown above:
counter.htm. Quite a few hits had come from the devenezia main site and several threads of this forum.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 12:21:35 PM by wbport »

wbport

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 07:41:18 AM
If your players can listen and follow directions, I have a new page which gives a narrative you can read here to allow players to create their own schedules.

wbport

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:48:08 AM
Court Balanced is now an option on the above link.

wbport

Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 02:22:52 PM
"Court Balanced" is still in, but I explain that the boards (time slots, fields, courts, etc) are simply displayed randomly which may or may not be good enough. I added a link to this board entry for those wanting a better solution.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 01:46:03 AM by Richard A. DeVenezia »

wbport

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:29:15 AM
I am having to migrate my website over to my current ISP provider  :'( since I can no longer access my existing site and it may be removed at any time.  My pairing generator is now http://home.comcast.net/~wporter211/realsite/chess_etc/rrpair.htm.  I have not changed the name of any other page such as "late.htm" or "permutation.htm"-- replace everything after the last slash with them.

If you have bookmarked my site, please note the change.

wbport

Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 10:58:31 AM
Just recorded the 5000th hit on my site and most of the referrals come here--thanks, Richard.  A link to the counter stats is near the bottom of the page.