Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

2 Divisions on 8 Courts

63off · 2 · 2886

63off

on: August 31, 2017, 08:02:07 PM
Hi.

Recently I manually worked out a more or less court balanced roster for 2 divisions, both with 8 teams on 8 dedicated courts with 2 courts that were "less" desirable for play (as they are further away from all the other courts).  I managed it but it was quite labor intensive and there were a couple of concessions that had to be made.

I can't see a way for this spreadsheet to include 2 divisions.  Or am I just not reading it correctly yet?

Many thanks for any comments/advice.

Geoff

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 03:21:43 AM
Geoff,

Unfortunately the spreadsheet is not able to handle divisions, but what you want is possible.  For example in the schedule below division 1 is A to H, and division 2 is I to P.

(E G) (K L) (M P) (D F) (A B) (I N) (J O) (C H)
(M N) (A E) (D H) (I O) (K P) (C F) (B G) (J L)
(I K) (N O) (B F) (J M) (E H) (L P) (A C) (D G)
(A D) (I M) (C G) (B H) (L N) (J K) (E F) (O P)
(L O) (B D) (J N) (C E) (F G) (A H) (I P) (K M)
(F H) (J P) (I L) (A G) (C D) (M O) (K N) (B E)
(B C) (G H) (K O) (N P) (I J) (D E) (L M) (A F)

It's arranged so that all teams play in each round (row), and 14 different teams play in each column (court).  You could convert it into a fully court balanced schedule by adding an 8th round with the missing teams for each column, but of course these 8 games would be all be repeats - so add (J P) to column 1, (C F) to column 2, etc.

Hope that helps,

Ian.

PS I have attached a zipped Excel file with a solution for 2 divisions of 7 that might be of interest.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:22:20 AM by Ian »