Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

crown green bowls

JohnT · 4 · 3080

JohnT

on: August 26, 2015, 05:53:01 AM
I would like help to extend an earlier request in 2009 for a round robin tournament in which 32 players play 4 rounds of doubles in which any one player does not partner nor play against the same players more than once. Given that this is possible for 24 players over 5 rounds I am hoping it is also possible too? many thanks

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 02:30:37 AM
You could use the schedule here for 32 golfers playing in foursomes.  Take days 0 to 3 (or indeed any 4 rounds) and assign foursomes to partners and opponents in any way that you like.

JohnT

Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 05:23:06 AM
Unless I do not understand your reply it seems to me your solution does not meet my criteria - no player should meet as a partner or opponent more than once in the 4 games of doubles? thanks again

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:05:26 AM
In the schedule I linked to, no pair of players meets more than once in a foursome.  So just convert the foursomes to doubles games:

ABCD to AB vs CD,   EFGH  to EF vs GH, etc..  Doesn't matter how you do this, it will always have the property that no pair of players meets twice in a game.

Note that uppercase and lowercase players are distinct, so 'A' is not the same player as 'a'.