Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Is this euchre tournament possible?

BradFoss · 5 · 5167

BradFoss

on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:34 PM
We have been trying to figure this out for years to no avail.  We have a euchre tournament every year;  there are 64 players, 32 on each team, each team member keeps tracks of their points each game and the total points are added up at the end and whichever team has the most points at the end is the winner.  There are 16 tables and 12 rounds.  Is it possible to set up so you have a new partner every time and also don't play the same opponent twice?  The closest we have gotten is the first ten rounds but then opponents start to double up.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:37:52 PM by BradFoss »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:15:27 AM
It is possible to have as many as 16 rounds like this, at which point all members of the first team will have opposed all members of the second team exactly once.  It is also possible to arrange that:

each player plays no more than once on each table (assuming the tables are set up the same for each round)
each partnership is of mixed ability (assuming a ranking of the players is available from last year).

I have put a range of schedules into the zipped Excel file attached - the largest one is for 64 players.

Hope that is of help to your euchre group.

BradFoss

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 11:35:15 AM
Very impressive.  Thank you very much!

BradFoss

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:25 PM
Greetings,

you helped me with this last year, is it possible to expand the formula to include 68 people?  Thanks in advance.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 09:03:18 AM
I have added a 68 player schedule in version 2 of the file attached.  Hope that helps.

Ian.