Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

RR with special definition of 'breaks'

sasla · 3 · 4003

sasla

on: November 09, 2010, 06:50:16 AM
Hello,

I have to do some research on Round Robin Tournaments for school. The problem that I have to find a solution for is a Single Round Robin tournament with 52 teams. Here, it is the case that a team specifies pairs of rounds such that the team does not want to play BOTH corresponding matches home or away. For instance, suppose that a team does not want to play the matches in round 1 and round 7 both away or both at home. If a home-away pattern violates this wish, for instance A H H H A H A …, the team is said to incur a break. (Data in attachment)
I now have to find a schedule that minimizes the number of breaks.

I did some research on the internet, but the papers that I found always define a break as follows: "A break occurs whenever a teams plays
two consecutive home games or two consecutive away games"
This is different then in my assignment so I have adapt my solving method. Does anyone know if there are papers specifically about my problem or has an idea how to solve this problem? I have to find an algorithm to find a good solution (but not optimal) and also specify my problem mathematically to find an optimal solution.

Thank you very much in advance!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:08 AM
I don't know the literature on this so probably can't be of much help.  In a schedule that avoids consecutive home or away games, the number of breaks between any odd numbered round and any even numbered round should also be low.  Perhaps you can rearrange the order of the rounds so that these odd-even round pairs coincide with the pairs on your list?

wbport

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:00 AM
A "break" should only occur once in a 52 team round robin.  As a team goes around "a long table" meeting the team on the other side at every station, the only time they will have a break in the home-away pattern is when they meet the ghost, the only team that stays put.

I don't have anything to display pairings for that many teams, but this narrative will show how to create a schedule for that many teams.  Substitute Home and Away for White and Black.