Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Mixed Doubles Tennis Round Robin - Whist?

phxtennis · 2 · 3382

phxtennis

on: October 06, 2016, 06:31:12 AM
I would like to apply the Whist algorithm to a doubles round robin tennis tournament with 16 players, but I want it to be for MIXED doubles.  That is, I want each pairing to be a man and a woman (8 men and 8 women).  I don't see how to do that.  Everything else about the Whist algorithm is what I want (avoid playing with the same person more than once, avoid playing against any person more than twice).  Is there a different name for the algorithm I'm looking for?  Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 10:55:13 AM
Mixed doubles is more complicated than Whist, and the bad news is that there is no easy algorithm to make schedules of any given size.   The complication arises as follows - in Whist you can partner and oppose all other players, so there is some symmetry.  However if you have mixed doubles with 2n players, then there are n possible partners, n possible opposite sex opponents, but only n-1 same sex opponents.  The commonest way around this asymmetry is to make a spouse avoiding schedule which reduces the partners and opposite sex opponents to n-1 possibilities each.

There is an example of a 16 player schedule here.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:55:42 AM by Ian »