Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

7-team pool play w/ only 4 games before advancing

schwoerkec · 5 · 4502

schwoerkec

• ultimate frisbee tourneys
on: January 27, 2009, 09:08:01 AM
14 teams in tournament
2 pools of 7
want to restrict play so that each team in a pool plays only 4 games before top 4 teams in each pool advance to 8-team elimination bracket (quarters, semis, finals)
what is the best way to clip round-robin play so that matchups are balanced and the basis for advancing (w-l record) is fair and sufficient?
further info: initial seeding of 14 teams is solid, and pools have been created with use of snaking method.

I've actually created such a format, but I've no certainty that the "fair and sufficient" criteria have been met.

Any help would be wonderful!

--xian

wbport

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:56 PM
I don't see a way a round robin could help here.  Try either a swiss system or add two more rounds to your knockout.  Sorry.

schwoerkec

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 07:54:04 AM
Thank you for your analysis of this.

While I don't know what the Swiss system is, I will look into it.

Can't add more rounds of play, as this tourney is a one-day affair, and each team (ultimate frisbee) is playing up to 7 7-point games without subs (6 hours).

--xian

wbport

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 02:58:02 PM
What I meant was to add two more rounds to your KO instead of having a qualifying event.  If that isn't possible, in a swiss system the top half of any scoring group is paired against the bottom half.  If the teams have some type of ratings, rankings, or seedings you might have for the 1st round 1-5, 2-6, 3-7, & 4 bye.  Assuming all the favs won, the 2nd round would be 1-3, 2-4, 5-7, & 6 bye.  This continues for two more rounds and the top four would be your qualifiers.  You can research what happens when only one team is left in any one scoring group and tie break systems, but that is outside of the scope of this website forum.  The swiss is used quite frequently for chess tournaments.

schwoerkec

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:26:49 AM
Thanks for the clarification, and especially for the example on the use of the swiss system in the qualifying play.  

I wanted something of that sort in order to establish qualifiers from two pools rather than trying to use round robins with two pools of 5 and two of 4.

Part of the culture of ultimate frisbee is the initial pool play, then the brevity of no more than 3 KO rounds.

Thanks again!

--xian