Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

social square- 12 golfers- 4 rounds

robeau · 4 · 5222

robeau

on: August 05, 2013, 10:36:48 AM
I am looking for a foursome schedule for 12 golfers, 4 rounds where everyone will play with all other golfers in the same foursome at least once.  I understand there will be a round where there will be duplicates.  Can anybody help

Thanks
Roland

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:26 PM
A social square for 12 golfers is mathematically impossible.

This is the about the best that can be done.

or consider playing threesomes instead.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:01:56 PM by Ian »

robeau

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:06:58 PM
My next question is.  What is the minimum amount of rounds 12 golfers in foursomes need to play to get the other 11 golfers in their foursome at least once.  And could you provide me with that schedule.

Thank you
Roland Beauregard

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 02:39:57 AM
Roland,

The minimum is 5 rounds, and I believe the only way you can do it like this:

(A G B H)  (C I D J)  (E K F L) 
 (A G C I)  (B H F L)  (D J E K)
 (A G D J)  (B H E K)  (C I F L)
 (A G E K)  (B H C I)  (D J F L)
 (A G F L)  (B H D J)  (C I E K)

Note that the players are assigned to 6 fixed pairs who always play together in the same foursome (A G), (B H), (C I), etc...  So the schedule has all fixed pairs play together exactly once (essentially a 6 team round robin),  this means that any two individuals will play together in the same foursome, either once or five times.  This does meet your requirement of 'at least once', but perhaps not quite as you were expecting?   For longer schedules, and considering the number of times players are together, then 7 rounds are enough for at least once, and at most three times, and 8 rounds are enough for at least twice and at most three times.  I could supply examples of these others if you would like.

Ian.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:05:39 AM by Ian »