Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

11 Golfers, 5 Rounds

ThreePutt · 5 · 3448

ThreePutt

on: September 20, 2007, 08:42:41 PM
I have 11 golfers playing 5 rounds and would like as balanced a format as is possible.
Whereas each player plays with everyone else as evenly as the numbers will allow.
I've tried many different formulae, but can't come up with a solution. Is this an exercise in futility or can it be done? Thanks

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:15:03 AM
How are you thinking of arranging play?  Two foursomes and one threesome each round perhaps?  Or maybe 3 threesomes and a pair?

ThreePutt

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:37:30 PM
Sorry about that! Shouldhave explained. There will be two foursomes and a threesome.
                                                                                                   Thanks!

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:52:55 AM
I do have a suggestion for your five rounds of play, but it may not be all that you had hoped for.  First of all you need to identify a special player A, who will always play in the threesome. I have looked for other solutions with better balance between threesomes and foursomes but unfortunately I can't find any.  So if you are happy with having the special player then the schedule below works nicely.

(A B C)  (H F E K)  (I D G J)
(A D E)  (I J F B)  (H K C G)
(A F G)  (C H D J)  (B E K I)
(A H I)  (D B G K)  (F C J E)
(A J K)  (F H B D)  (G I E C)

Player A, plays together with the other 10 players exactly once.  All the other players play 4 rounds in foursomes and 1 round in a threesome, and will play with 6 of the other players (including A) exactly once, and play twice with the other 4 players.

Hope that helps.

ThreePutt

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:05:28 AM
That helps tremendously! Thank you very much for your time!