Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

schedule of 16 and 2 locations  - Question

Guest · 5 · 3026

marcel elfers(Guest)

on: June 07, 2007, 04:22:45 PM
Hello all,

this site is great and has helped tremendously.  We are in our 3rd tournament now and played so far with ten teams on 4 tables in one location.
(incidentally, I created spreadsheet with GW - games won and a point system that allows for teams with most games won to win tournament and in case of ties a point system to decide which teams showed more skill - feel free to ask for copy)

Question:

We are in the planning stages of scheduling 16 teams, in 2 locations on 4 tables in each location.
The problem I am facing is that each team should play in 1 location per evening.  Any ideas how to accomplish that?

thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

Marcel

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 06:56:18 AM
Marcel,

You don't say what game or sport you are playing.  If two teams participate at each table then is your problem not like a classic all-plays-all round robin?  Follow the schedules link above and look at the plan for 16 teams,  If you assign the first 4 matches to location 1 and the last 4 matches to location 2, does this answer your question?  If not please write back with some more details.

Ian.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:02:24 AM by Ian »

marcel3405

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 09:19:39 PM
Hello Ian,

thank you for your reply.  I was not specific enough and your answer is the correct one if we play one round per night.

Have a look at the jpg attached.  You will see two blocks of 8 teams playing. Note how one playing night (red box) consists of three rounds (opponents).

The problem is that e.g. team 16 has to drive from one location to another, which is what I like to avoid. This is happens for most teams.  

If you have suggestions regarding how to keep all teams in one location per night and play three rounds, that would be wonderful.

Thank you in advance, and for this great site.  

best wishes,

Marcel

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:27:37 AM

Marcel,

This is not too hard to solve, the schedule below with no travelling between locations should work and can be further divided into 4 locations.

Location 1                 Location 2
(A B) (C D) (E F) (G H)    (I J) (K L) (M N) (O P)
(A C) (B D) (E G) (F H)    (I K) (J L) (M O) (N P)
(A D) (B C) (E H) (F G)    (I L) (J K) (M P) (N O)

(C G) (K O) (D H) (L P)    (A E) (I M) (B F) (J N)
(C K) (G O) (D L) (H P)    (A I) (E M) (B J) (F N)
(C O) (G K) (D P) (H L)    (A M) (E I) (B N) (F J)

(I N) (C H) (M J) (G D)    (E B) (O L) (A F) (K P)
(I C) (N H) (M G) (J D)    (E O) (B L) (A K) (F P)
(I H) (N C) (M D) (J G)    (E L) (B O) (A P) (F K)

(A N) (G L) (M B) (K H)    (E J) (C P) (I F) (O D)
(A G) (N L) (M K) (B H)    (E C) (J P) (I O) (F D)
(A L) (N G) (M H) (B K)    (E P) (J C) (I D) (F O)

(M F) (C L) (E N) (K D)    (A J) (O H) (I B) (G P)
(M C) (F L) (E K) (N D)    (A O) (J H) (I G) (B P)
(M L) (F C) (E D) (N K)    (A H) (J O) (I P) (B G)

Essentially it's a version of this social square expanded so each foursome becomes 3 rounds of play.

Ian.

marcel3405

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:29:36 AM
Thank you Ian

I had that thought of going with 4 groups of 4 and mix and match, but didn't think it would lead me to this solution.

This is great, and your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you again from Snohomish, WA.  

best wishes,

Marcel