Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Badminton, up to 24 players with ranking

Armonioso · 2 · 832

Armonioso

on: November 16, 2023, 11:26:43 PM
Hi

We run a local badminton doubles round robin format. Our requirements are:

• Player numbers vary week to week, from 8 - 24.
  • We are limited to 4 courts.
  • We have a range of abilities, from advanced to beginners & would need to have a mix of games; advanced versus advanced; advanced playing with newer players, to increase the skills of newer players; advanced with middle ranking players; middle ranking with new. 
  • Due to time constraints at the facility, we probably are limited to a maximum of 20 games (4 courts x 5 games). Maybe, 24 games (4 courts x 6 games).

How would we build a SS that encompasses the above? Or, if you can recommend something already built, or if this question had been answered before, that would be appreciated.

David

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 01:09:40 PM
Hi David,

I don't think you are looking for a spreadsheet as there are far too many possibilities to cover, what you need is software to work out what to do once you know who has turned up and what their abilities are.  I have not used any software like this myself so I can't make recommendations, but I would caution that there will be many situations where nothing good will be possible, because of the uneven mix of ability groups and the byes. The more symmetric things are the better - for example I have dealt with 20 players without the ability groups and with 5 or 6 rounds here.

Ian