Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

rotation charts

BertL · 2 · 2577

BertL

on: August 23, 2015, 07:50:11 PM
I have a ladder golf tournament every year. There are 4 players per "station".  It has grown from 20 players to 28 or possibly 32 players this year.  We only play 10 rounds so it doesn't go all night.  I try to have everyone play at least once on every station.  I know it's not possible for everyone to play against everyone.  Is there a website or excel formula to make rotation charts for this?  I've attached the last chart I used for 24 players.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 03:54:21 AM
I am not aware of any resources that will help you solve the general problem of a an incomplete doubles schedule balanced at stations.  However, if you follow the schedules link near the top of this page, you could start with the first 10 rounds of the 'Whist' schedules for 28 and 32 players.  You will need to reassign most of the games on table 1/ladder 1 so that player 28 or 32 is spread more evenly.  This solution will probably work for you, the main problem being imperfect opponent balance, since most players will have a few others whom they oppose twice.

Have you thought that you could divide your players into two equal sized teams (Ryder cup style)? Then have a format of play where each game consists of two players from each team.  There are some schedules in the zipped Excel file here that you could use (click on the paperclip icon to download), which would give either 7 or 8 rounds of play for 28 and 32 players respectively.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:59:19 AM by Ian »