Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

16 and 8 Teams on 2 and 4 courts

WALoeIII · 3 · 4965

WALoeIII

on: September 26, 2010, 03:20:17 PM
I am trying to algorithmically build a 16 team rotation with 4 courts, and 8 team rotations on 2 or 4 courts.

I do not need to correct for balance on an individual court, but do want to move teams around to different courts as fairly as possible.

I have a cyclic algorithm now (in Ruby), but am looking for the pieces to move the 'seed' (team A or 1) around so they are not always on court 1.

Right now I am reversing the rotation on alternating passes but this only partially solved the problem as they still only use courts 1 and 4.

This same algorithm will be fed 8 teams with 2 or 4 courts and should be reasonable there as well.

WALoeIII

Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 03:23:04 PM
Teams in this case are static and may be considered single players.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:52 AM
Perhaps the court balanced solution is what you want.  If you generated the 16 and 8 team schedules using my Excel file then you could simply slice up each schedule so one round becomes two rounds, so for 16 teams the matches that would have been played on courts 5 to 8 in round 1 are instead played on courts 1 to 4 in round 2.  This gives a reasonable structure to the byes, limiting the number of consecutive byes or back-to-back games to 2.