Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

2 teams 12 player rotation

Bill_Naumoff · 3 · 3987

Bill_Naumoff

on: August 15, 2008, 02:02:37 PM
I have a flag football league of 12 players. There are 2 teams of 6 players each and I want to be able to mix the players on each team so as to have played with as many different people as possible. Im not sure if this is really a round robin quesion or not?  ex. 1,2,3,4,5,6 v 7,8,9,10,11,12 for week one. Now I need to continue the the schedule through at least 12 weeks.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 04:03:40 AM
It is best to have 11 weeks as then it is possible to arrange things so that every possible pair of players occur together on the same team exactly 5 times.

(H C B L F D)  v  (K E A G J I)
(C H B K G E)  v  (L A F D J I)
(L D I K H G)  v  (A B C F E J)
(B I J C L K)  v  (F G H A D E)
(C D G I B A)  v  (F J E H K L)
(A J K B H D)  v  (E G L C I F)
(H F A I K C)  v  (J L E D B G)
(I A H B E L)  v  (D C K J G F)
(G B J F I H)  v  (E K D L A C)
(I E C J D H)  v  (K F G A L B)
(J H L G C A)  v  (D K I E F B)

Above the players are also arranged so that the same player never occurs more than twice in the 6 positions (1 2 3 4 5 6) on a team.  I guess you could use this feature if you wanted to try out every player in every position.

If you need a 12th week then you can use any assigment of the 12 players to 2 teams of 6.

The schedule above is an example of a resolvable incomplete block design for example see here

Hope that helps.

Bill_Naumoff

Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:42:08 AM
Thank you for the great answer. You really have a great thing going with this website! I had looked forever on the net trying to find some info, but apparantly I dont think I even knew how to frame the query.
On another note, I think I may have slightly messed up the question. We actually are only having a 6 week schedule. Would starting at the top of your rotation provide the greatest mix, or is it more variable as it goes along?