Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

help urgently needed - 10 team 10 activities

jontiprime · 5 · 5072

jontiprime

on: July 29, 2008, 08:42:39 AM
Hello there!

I have an "it's a knockout" to organise for my company and am having quite a few problems with the scheduling. We have 10 teams, with 10 games to compete in - 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, both on a round-robin basis. The issue is this: TWO teams need to take part in a game at the same time, and we ideally want all the teams to play a different team every time. I've found a number of tables that show this, the only problem being that some of the teams play the same game more than once and miss out on one of the others. I appreciate that the teams will have to play at least one opponent twice but hopefully this could be limited. I would sincerely appreciate some help on this matter as it's driving me mad and my boss is wanting results...

If you visit http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/tournaments/all-play-all/apa_10_sched_a4.pdf you should get some idea of what I'm aiming for...

Many many thanks in advance.

Richard A. DeVenezias

• Forum Administrator
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:43 PM
Hello there!

I have an "it's a knockout" to organise for my company and am having quite a few problems with the scheduling. We have 10 teams, with 10 games to compete in - 5 in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, both on a round-robin basis. The issue is this: TWO teams need to take part in a game at the same time, and we ideally want all the teams to play a different team every time.

This is still very vague to me.  Does each game type get a 10 team round robin ?  10 team RR 45 matches.

Suppose you split the 10 teams into two divisions of 5 teams each.  Then each game type RR would require 10 matches.  Still with 10 game types (horseshoes, badminton, beer pong, toss the boss, volleyball, etc...) your participants will have to play 100 matches overall.

With 5 teams, choose 6 man cyclic and one team sits out each round (the team paired with one (1) the ghost team).

If you go with apa_10 schedule, do 9 pairwise events and maybe a free for all sack race at the end.
The Administrator.

wbport

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:15:18 PM
Ian Wakeling posted a spreadsheet with a Court Balanced round robin generator spreadsheet in the forum.  If your question has a solution, it is probably there.  Every court would be a different game but to play every game you would need a double round robin as the first five games would be replaced with new ones in the 2nd half.  If it works, everyone would play each game twice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:05:32 AM by Richard A. DeVenezia »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 10:13:07 AM
I think you mean 5 activities/games in the morning and 5 activities in the afternoon - in which case use the following schedule:

Morning
 G1    G2    G3    G4    G5
(A B) (C D) (E F) (G H) (I J)
(I E) (H J) (G B) (F C) (D A)
(J F) (G I) (H A) (E D) (B C)
(G D) (F A) (C J) (B I) (E H)
(H C) (E B) (D I) (A J) (G F)

Afternoon
 G6    G7    G8    G9    G10
(F H) (J E) (B D) (I A) (C G)
(E G) (I F) (A C) (J B) (H D)
(D J) (A G) (I H) (C E) (F B)
(C I) (B H) (J G) (D F) (A E)
(A B) (C D) (E F) (G H) (I J)

Notice that the last round, repeats the pairings from the first round.

jontiprime

Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 03:20:54 PM
That's absolutely perfect Ian, thank you from the bottom of my heart! Sorry for the late reply, have been on holiday for a week...Once again, my sincerest thanks to all who looked into this for me.