Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

10 person and 12 person Pickleball Random Doubles

PickleballerForeve

on: January 12, 2016, 11:41:55 AM
Dear All:

Hosting another tournament.

We will have either 10 or 12 people.

Looking for a format where everyone plays with everyone ONE time (2 courts) once while minimizing the amount of times playing against a specific individual.

Looking to get the format for 10 and 12 people.

Thank you in advance.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:08:49 AM
With 10 players there are 45 possible partnerships that you want to play, however as each game has 2 partnerships and as 45 is not divisible by 2, the "ONE time" criterion can not be met.  The schedule below gets round this by arranging one player pair (AF) to not meet either as partners or opponents, and as a consequence they have one less game than the others. Otherwise all other player pairs partner once and oppose twice.

[(A E):(B H)] [(D F):(C I)]
[(B I):(D H)] [(C G):(E J)]
[(B D):(A C)] [(H J):(F I)]
[(A G):(H I)] [(D E):(B F)]
[(I J):(B E)] [(G H):(C D)]
[(B C):(G I)] [(D J):(E H)]
[(E F):(D G)] [(A B):(C J)]
[(G J):(A D)] [(C F):(E I)]
[(A H):(C E)] [(F G):(B J)]
[(E G):(A I)] [(F J):(C H)]
[(A J):(D I)] [(B G):(F H)]

For 12 players modify the standard 3 court schedule for 2 courts.  You can find this by using the 'schedules' link near the top of this page and then choose 12 Items & Whist.  Remove the games (2 8 vs 3 6) and (9 5 vs 10 1) and call this round 12. Then remove the games immediately below the two above, so (3 9 vs 4 7) and (10 6 vs 11 2) become round 13. Continue like this until you have created 5 new rounds.  Then round 17 is the single game (3 10 vs 4 6).   Finally randomly reorder the 17 rounds, so that player 12 does not have all their byes rounds in one block.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 03:10:18 AM by Ian »