Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Recent Posts

Requests / Re: King/Queen of the Beach
« Last post by kitch3 on February 28, 2024, 12:13:29 PM »
Ian could you generate a schedule for 16 players King/Queen of the Beach (3 courts)

16 Players (8 Male / 8 Female)
Every male plays with and against every female 1x 
Every male plays against each male 1x (and one other male 2x)
Requests / Re: 10 Team Division - Home and away with shared grounds.
« Last post by Ian Wakeling on February 26, 2024, 12:23:11 PM »
Please have a look at this thread which shows you how.  You need to uncheck the "multi-table" box and select "do not randomize" then the teams who can venue share are next to each other in pairs.

[edited]  Sorry that wasn't quite accurate they are next to each other in pairs if you make a single round robin, but this is not the case for the double round-robin shown in the linked post.
Requests / 10 Team Division - Home and away with shared grounds.
« Last post by Amjad on February 26, 2024, 04:49:19 AM »
Hi

Firstly, fantastic initative and a fantastic excel spreadsheet resource.

I am trying to organise a 10 team cricket division - that will play games on a home and away basis (and the spreadsheet does this great).  These 10 teams will share 5 grounds between them.

I wanted confirmation of which team letter should be sharing grounds - eg Team A and Team J should be sharing a ground, Team B and Team I should be sharing etc - to ensure that I do not end up with 2 teams on the same ground both expecting to play a game.

Appreciate any help with this.
Requests / Re: 10 Team Quiz League with 3 Triangular Meets Per Night
« Last post by HillJackBob on February 24, 2024, 11:03:55 PM »
You are a godsend!   Thank you so much!

I've been in touch with the conference about making some needed changes, and hopefully, passing this along to them will allow them to see it my way.
Requests / Re: 10 Team Quiz League with 3 Triangular Meets Per Night
« Last post by Ian Wakeling on February 24, 2024, 11:58:24 AM »
No need for chaos, there is schedule for this scenario.  For example take the 3 triangles from each of the 10 rows below and that is your 10 round schedule.

Notice that the 10 columns numbered 1 to 10 may also prove useful.  Each column could be a quiz master provided by one of the schools, so for example school 1 provides the quiz master in column 1 and they ask the questions for the 3 triangles in rounds 2, 6 & 9, if you do this for all the columns then no quiz master will ever ask the questions for a triangle that includes their own school.  The columns could also be the school who hosts, so no team competes at their own school.

I think I have it arranged so that the two occasions when a particular pair of teams meet are never in consecutive rounds.  Hope that helps.
Comments and Thanks / Re: Round Robin Scheduler
« Last post by Ian Wakeling on February 24, 2024, 11:39:43 AM »
If you register as a user of the forum, and you are also logged in, then you can download my Excel spreadsheet here.  If that doesn't help then you are welcome to post in the 'requests' section.
Requests / 10 Team Quiz League with 3 Triangular Meets Per Night
« Last post by HillJackBob on February 23, 2024, 10:59:39 PM »
Hello.  I'm a coach in an elementary school quiz league where our conference includes 10 teams.  Each night we have 3 triangular meets at 3 locations, and each week 1 team has the night off.  Right now the schedule is all messed up, there are 9 dates, some teams are playing each other 3 times, some just once, some teams have 0 byes, some have 1 bye week, and some have 2.  It's chaos.

I'd like to try to see if I could come up with a schedule with a 10th date, so therefore every team could have one bye week.  In that scenario, everyone SHOULD be able to play each other twice.  Can anyone direct me to a way to arrange these teams in this way.

i.e.  the first week could be (A B C) (D E F) (G H I) with team J on bye.  After 10 weeks, each team should have 1 bye, and have played each of the other teams twice.
Comments and Thanks / Round Robin Scheduler
« Last post by Craig Sukenic on February 21, 2024, 05:48:54 PM »
I am very interested in downloading a copy of your round robin scheduler.  It will be very helpful to use for scheduling an upcoming charity pickleball tournament

Requests / Re: Balanced Home & Away Draw with extra criteria
« Last post by geffish on February 20, 2024, 08:41:00 AM »
I guess having alternating home and away wouldn't have to be crucial as long as each team has an even as possible home and away draw. I understand the more criteria one adds to the equation the harder it would be to come up with a solution. The question is, is it still possible for other number of teams?
Requests / Re: Balanced Home & Away Draw with extra criteria
« Last post by Ian Wakeling on February 19, 2024, 03:42:35 AM »
I have looked at your spreadsheet.  I am not aware of any general way of making the schedule where all the derby games are in the first round, so have you managed to do this for any other number of player apart from 8?  In your schedule players 3 to 8 each have 2 breaks from the strictly alternating pattern, while the original unrandomized schedule has only 1 break each for players 3 to 8 -  I am guessing this a compromise that needs to be made in order to obtain the derby games you want.