Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

24 person Euchre Tourney

rflynn2nd · 5 · 4259

rflynn2nd

on: November 07, 2006, 10:27:38 AM
Hi, we have a 24 person Euchre tourney. There are no teams, usually Euchre is played with 2 person teams but, we just want to make sure everyone is at least at the table with everyone else at one time during the evening whether it be TEAMMATE or OPPOSING TEAM.  If you need more info let me know.

Thanks,
Randy

Richard A. DeVenezias

• Forum Administrator
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:35:23 PM
Sounds like you want a Whist schedule.
The Administrator.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:55:41 AM
If you don't want to play more than 7 rounds, then consider using this schedule where the sites would be your 6 tables.  For each round simply draw cards to see who partners whom; by the time you have played 7 rounds everyone will have had 7 different partners and 14 different opponents.  See the triads in the footnote, if you could play an 8th round with 8 tables of 3 (I guess a different type of card game), then every player would have sat down once at a table with all the other players.

Ian.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:58:22 AM by Ian »

rflynn2nd

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:10:47 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you play at least 8 rounds

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:22:53 AM
If you want as many as 23 rounds then the link that Richard gives above is the perfect solution, since everyone partners everyone else exactly once and opposes each other exactly twice.

The link that I give above can form the basis of a 9 round schedule.  Play the first 7 rounds as I suggested then rearrange the triads from the footnote to give rounds 8 and 9.

round 8 (A H W L)  (B M T P)  (C I U V)  (D G K O)  (E N S Q)  (F J X R) 
round 9 (L P V D)  (O Q R A)  (B C E F)  (G H I J)  (K M N U)  (S T W X)

Doing this will meet the at-the-same-table-with-everyone-else-at-least-once requirement.  If you are careful when you assign partnerships, it should be possible to ensure that players have 9 different partners.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 03:16:58 AM by Ian »