Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

10 players 2 teams 6 rounds

TarheelGolfer · 2 · 4333

TarheelGolfer

on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:25 PM
Hi all,

I am glad this site is here for such complex problems.  Or at least what I perceive as a complex problem.

I am in the final planning stages of our golf trip when my buddy came up with a plan to try and switch up the pairings.  So here is my problem.  I am not sure if it is even possible to solve and I couldn't really find a good answer here before or on the web to get this started.

10 players
2 teams of 5
6 "rounds" of golf 9 holes each.

Team 1 - ABCDE
Team 2 - 12345

As an example we are hoping for all 3 days to look something like this

Front 9 (Match 1)
Group 1 - AB12
Group 2 - C3
Group 3 - DE45

Back 9 (Match 2)
Group 1 - A1
Group 2 - BC23
Group 3 - DE45

Basically two players from the first foursome will hang back after the 1st 9 holes and pair up with the twosome in group 2 while group 1 remaining players will continue on against each other.

So in ideal situation we are trying to minimize teammates playing together over the 3 days (6 - 9 hole rounds) and also minimizing playing an opponent.  One more constraint is that we want to minimize the number of times that a single player plays in the twosome.  We were hoping for 1 guy from each time would only be able to do this.

In order of importance:
Minimizing the number of times that a single player is in a twosome
Making sure that you play with your teammates at least once
Playing opponents at least once.

I guess all problems are solvable but are we just banging our heads against the wall to make a viable solution?

Richard A. DeVenezias

• Forum Administrator
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:16:12 AM
This plan has 5 round where each teammate is paired four times and singled once.  Additionally, each player opposes each other at least once.  
The sixth round is a random draw.   For fun you could have each team draw the other teams groups from a hat.

Day=1
  Match=1
    45 : AC
    23 : DE
    1 : B
  Match=2
    34 : AB
    15 : CE
    2 : D
Day=2
  Match=1
    14 : AD