Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

10 person balanced Round Robin --- Pickleball

PickleballerForeve

on: February 22, 2015, 09:15:25 PM
Ian et. al

Looking to do a DOUBLES PICKLEBALL Tournament with a Round Robin.

Have 10 male players.

I want each Male to play ONCE with each other.

I would prefer to have each person play against the same player an equal amount [or as close to it as mathematically possibly] of times.
(i.e. I don't want #1 to play against #7 six times while #1 only plays against #5 two times....Prefer to have those numbers as EQUAL as possible)

Other than that, anything you can do for me again, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!

Someone should really come up with an APP for a Round Robin Generator........I'm telling you IAN -- a 99 cent APP or even $1.99 --- you'd be rich in NO TIME!!!!

Pickleball, Tennis, Badminton, Squash, Baseball (they use this as well), etc. etc. etc......

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:44:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about an app!

Doubles for 10 players does not work well, there are 45 possible partnerships and because there are an odd number of them, they can never be arranged into a doubles schedule.

The closest it is possible to come is to play 11 rounds of 2 games each:

[(D F):(G I)] [(E H):(A C)]
[(A J):(D E)] [(C F):(H I)]
[(B D):(C H)] [(E I):(G J)]
[(A E):(B I)] [(F J):(C G)]
[(G H):(A I)] [(B F):(D J)]
[(E F):(C D)] [(B J):(A H)]
[(B C):(I J)] [(E G):(D H)]
[(D I):(H J)] [(C E):(B G)]
[(A G):(C J)] [(F I):(B E)]
[(B H):(F G)] [(C I):(A D)]
[(E J):(F H)] [(A B):(D G)]

However one pair of players (A F) never meet, either as partners or opponents.  Consequently they only play 8 games, while everyone else play 9 games.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:44:37 AM by Ian »

PickleballerForeve

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:21:55 AM
Ian,

You're a godsend ---- There's a lot of money to be made if you turn your mathematical mind into an Apple App my friend!!! You're the best!

Godspeed,
Scott

wbport

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:04 AM
There's a lot of money to be made if you turn your mathematical mind into an Apple App my friend!!! You're the best!
For a 1 on 1 rr table made to order (can't assign partners) try this.  It should work thru Safari or other browser on a smart phone (althogh not an "App").