Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

ROUND ROBIN DOUBLES

LJG1937 · 3 · 2945

LJG1937

on: August 19, 2014, 06:16:06 AM
We have 8 or sometimes 12 players playing in doubles -  golf - and want a round robin schedule that optimises the "with" and "against" factors.  The schedule should be over  a certain number of matches with all 8 [or 12 ] players taking part at the same time.  At best, every player plays once with every other player and against every other player on an equal - or near equal - number of occasions.  This looks similar to one of the Whist-based schedules, but have not really found the version I want.  Furthermore, is there a published source for this and similar problems please ?
regards

Len Griffiths / LJG1937 [USER NAME]

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:04:55 AM
Len,

Can you explain why the whist schedules for 8 and 12 players do not work for you?  The ones you can find by following the schedules link near the top of the page will put all pairs of players against each other exactly twice.

The schedules here on the Wiseman website do consider the fairness of the 4-balls as well, that is to say it tries to avoid putting two highly ranked players against two others of very low rank.

Hope that helps.

Ian.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:06:09 AM by Ian »

LJG1937

Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:58:44 PM
Ian,

My sincere apologies, both for the delay in replying and for not getting to grips with the whist schedules.  Have been away from my computer - actually playing some golf. And with a group that liked to self-select their partners and opponents from their peers who hit the breakfast buffet table at the same time as they did!
Before leaving I did not spend more than a few minutes searching for your rapid response to my second query. But upon my return, I've looked at the whist schedules, clicked all the boxes and to come across with a card-playing analogy, it works in Spades!  Many thanks again and I will comprehensive look through the schedules, grids, edge graphs and more before troubling you again.  
Great website, better now that I'm beginning to understand my way around it

Kindest regards

LEN GRIFFITHS  / LJG 1937 USERNAME