Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

Strict Mitchell Mixed Doubles Round Robin

Nanoo · 3 · 5855

Nanoo

on: June 07, 2013, 12:48:18 AM
Hi,

I want to write some code to generate a strict MMDRR tournament for various numbers of players.  

I have been trying to distill an algorithm from these 2 papers:

http://people.uncw.edu/bermand/BalancedEquitableMixedDoublesRoundRobinTournaments.pdf

http://people.uncw.edu/bermand/mitchell.pdf

But I'm just not smart enough.  If I'm willing to accept that it is possible (at least for even numbers of teams), is there someone who can help me understand the method without needing to follow the entire proof?

Thank You
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:14:04 AM by Nanoo »

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:27:30 AM
The paper only gives constructions for multiples of 4 players, and in practical terms, the number of possibilities above 32 players is limited (64 players is the next), so an implementation of the combinatorial math will not provide a complete solution if you are wanting to make a general scheduling program.  Note that if you are looking to play the tournaments in rounds, this is not addressed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:33:00 AM by Ian »

Nanoo

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 05:06:16 PM
Ian,

Thank you.  That is what it seemed like and probably why I was so lost, but I'm not very good at such theoretical things.

Practically for what I'm looking for I have already accepted that in many/most instances things will not be ideal.  We run tournaments for anywhere from 4 to 16 co-ed teams (8 to 32 players - half of each gender).  As you seem to have intuited, I would like to write a scheduling program for the various situations in that range - including the odd number of teams (we will never have an odd number of players) situation where one team get's a bye in all but one of the rounds.  Priorities for this schedule would be as follows (from most important to least important):

1) Each player of one gender competes with each player of the opposite gender
2) Each player competes against each player of their own gender
3) Each player competes against each player of the opposite gender
4) Each player plays equally on each of the courts as possible (we will always have enough courts for all the teams to be playing so, for example, with 8 or 9 teams we will have 4 courts available)

Failing to write a scheduling program for this, I would like to understand the process or creating such schedules so that I can make one for each situation and have it ready.

Is there any chance you can point me somewhere I can learn how to do this?

Thank you very much for your assistance.