Round Robin Tournament Scheduling

12 men 5 rounds

speaky · 3 · 4098

speaky

on: April 24, 2006, 08:21:35 PM
Ian, just found your site and that a previous visitor had asked the question that I was after the answer to. We have 5 rounds with 12 golfers but have got to play in 4s, what is the closest we can get to all playing with each other, whilst ensuring that someone doesn't play with another more than twice. Please help as I have bits of paper with numbers on everywhere, speaky. PS good site.

Ian Wakeling

• Forum Moderator
  • God Member
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 04:42:40 AM
Speaky,

Have a look at this message where I explain about a problem that arises when you assign 12 players to foursomes. This works against you when trying to arrange that everyone plays everyone else equally often.  If your aim is to have no pair of players play together more than twice, then I think you must have at least 6 pairs of players who never get placed together in a foursome. Such a schedule would be,

(C F I K)  (J L E A)  (G B D H)
(E H A F)  (B K G J)  (D C L I)
(A D B I)  (L J K H)  (F G C E)
(D G F L)  (A J C B)  (K I H E)
(I E J G)  (H B L C)  (F A K D)

where AG BE BF DE DJ FJ are the pairs who never play together.

There is an alternative you could ask the players to form buddy pairs and then use the following:

(A G B H)  (C I D J)  (E K F L)
(A G C I)  (B H F L)  (D J E K)
(A G D J)  (B H E K)  (C I F L)
(A G E K)  (B H C I)  (D J F L)
(A G F L)  (B H D J)  (C I E K)

where the pairs AG BH CI DJ EK and FL always play together. It has the advantage that all pairs do occur at least once.

If you are considering more than 5 rounds then see this topic or this one.

Ian.

speaky

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:32:11 AM
Cheers for help, The buddy pairs is a great idea.